Wednesday 12 February 2014

Beauty| Estée Lauder Sumptuous Waterproof Mascara

 Estée Lauder, for me, is the go-to brand when on the hunt for good quality products in excellent packaging. I've been an avid lover of their Double Wear Foundation (review here) for years and have recently nominated their Sumptuous Extreme Mascara (review here) as one of my all time favourites. This is why it hits even harder to home when you find a product that is less then satisfactory in terms of quality and being cost effective. After being very impressed with their Sumptuous Extreme Mascara I decided to branch out ever so slightly and purchase the Sumptuous Waterproof Mascara to see how this performed. I've never really given many Waterproof mascara's a go because the forever-staying quality never acted as much of an attraction but I was eager to know what I might be missing which in this case, wasn't much!
This mascara promises to be 'bold and uplifting' a quality I definitely agree with. This really did give me lengthened, thicker lashes and performed in that area almost perfectly much like the original Sumptuous Extreme. Alas, there was already a negative surfacing at this point and this is the incredible amount of clumping that comes with the application. The formula is most definitely not build-able and often found myself having to give up and go out into the world with spiders legs for lashes - not my ideal look. It was hard to manipulate once the lashes had been coated which often led to even more clumps or one big monstrous eyelash which I don't think anyone really aims for. 

Estée Lauder also state that the lashes will be 'virtually indestructible' which is another trait thats very accurate. Once applied there isn't much they will make this budge for a standard length of time. Come wind, rain or shine your lashes will be coated base to tip in this product. The same goes when trying to remove this product. No wet wipe, cleansing cream or balm will effectively get this off. I've put my most highly commended cleansers to the test and none of them have managed to rid me off the panda eyes look the following morning. This might be a quality some of you may look for but I personally like to remove my make up quickly and effectively, an impossibility with this. The main negative of this mascara was the fall out which became an ever-growing problem once the formula had gotten wet. If you were to be caught in the rain wearing this expect hard, clumps of mascara in your eye, a massive issue for something that needs to be effectively waterproof. It became a vicious cycle after a while. My lashes got wet, clumps fell into my eye, made my eyes water, more clumps fell - not great! I just thank the heavens it was fragrance free. 

One definite positive that comes at no surprise with Estée Lauder products is the packaging. A gorgeous metallic blue colour with the signature gold in a band along the top of the base. The only negative to this being that it's reflective and so taking pictures of it proved to be a challenge but that really is a minor set back. It feels classy and expensive in a decent sized tube that allows for plenty of product effectively making it last a long time.  I can't majorly fault the brush either. For something so thin it really was great at thickening my lashes and adding heaps of length and was good enough at getting the hard-to-reach lashes along the edges. I just think it could improve on its separation technique!

Priced at £20.50 it's expensive and almost not really worth the steep price tag. I feel there are many high street mascara's out there that are just as good if not better! All in all not an overly positive review on a product from one of my favourite brands. I am in no means trying to convince you out of buying this product as it does the job it's intended to do excellently and it seems for every negative review regarding this mascara there are a few positives but I personally will not be repurchasing this once the tube has eventually ran out. 

Let me know what you think in the comments.
What products have not exceeded your expectations?


5 comments:

  1. I really like this mascara (got a sample of it with EL's last GWP deal) but not sure I'd buy a full size. It's good but very expensive x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review :)

    hellomynamesanna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, I don't think I could justify buying that! But I'm definitely interested in Estee Lauder now! Great (and honest) review! :)

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually sticking with drugstore mascaras, but this looks luxurious (no wonder if you see the price! ;) ).

    Mademoiselle-Lala.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a big disappointment! Highstreet make up is coming on leaps and bounds, higher end brands need to up their game!! xxxx

    Laura | Tease Flutter Pout

    ReplyDelete